Saturday, December 10, 2011

Nick of Time...or Maybe Not

I finished my holiday wall hanging just a few minutes ago, wanting to get it done in time to link up to Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?, which I thought closed at noon today.  

Turns out I was wrong about that—it's midnight—but I'm grateful for the self-imposed adrenaline rush to fuel me through the finish!

The idea for this project came from Karen at Laughter in Quilts who had made a lovely one using the Carpenter's Wheel block pattern on Quilter's Cache.  Since my front hallway was desperately in need of something seasonal, I totally stole borrowed her idea!  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

I used some scraps of Christmas fabrics I'd bought at JoAnn last year, along with Kona Snow.

The backing is a vintage piece I thrifted this past summer.  The batting is likewise thrifted.  I'd found a craft-sized package of bamboo batting at Goodwill, and it worked perfectly.  This is the first time I've used bamboo batting.  Is that stuff ever soft!  It quilted nicely, too.

I need to put up a decent rod in the hallway to hang this, and the hallway is pretty dark for pictures anyway, so I took it out on the front porch for a few shots.  I couldn't be bothered to sweep the sidewalk first (I thought I was under the gun for time, remember), and besides, that's what Picasa's "Retouch" button is for.  Virtual sweeping—no more debris, dead bugs, or whatever they were.

It's beginning to look a little more like Christmas around here.  With any luck, I'll get the little tree re-strung with lights that actually work today.  I hope your holiday is coming together nicely too! 

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

P., that is absolutely gorgeous! I love it! Your stippling is so perfect and the colors are just amazing. That polka-dot binding is the perfect finishing touch!

I'll totally give you a Whoop! Whoop! because that is just sew much fun!

xo -E

P.S. Thanks for the tip about the re-touch button.

P.S. #2 Love that cute little sled and the bells. What a cute way to "pose" your quilt for photos!

Karen said...

That green border looks amazing and love the binding! :)

MomWaldsPlace said...

Your wall hanging is sure to add a splash of holiday to your hallway. It certainly did dress up your sled. What a great quilt!

Sarah Craig said...

I love it!! And I am so glad you made it in time to link up to get your Whoop Whoop!!!

greelyrita said...

Really, really nice!! That hot chocolate was yummy sounding. My daughter lately introduced us to cocoanut milk and it sure adds a lovely flavour to dishes. Makes my mouth water, just thinking about it. :)

Shay said...

I'm going to remember that Picasa tip next time I photograph a quilt and my carpets look like they're shag pile from dog hair and thread ends.

I love your wall hanging. The pattern is so festive and the colours are just wonderful. Way to go . You did good!

Whoop! Whoop!

Sara said...

Enjoy that sweet little wall hanging Paulette;) Good Luk with the lights.

Michelle said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty! I love the design. And such dainty prints. :-)