Saturday, December 10, 2011

Nick of Time...or Maybe Not

I finished my holiday wall hanging just a few minutes ago, wanting to get it done in time to link up to Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?, which I thought closed at noon today.  

Turns out I was wrong about that—it's midnight—but I'm grateful for the self-imposed adrenaline rush to fuel me through the finish!

The idea for this project came from Karen at Laughter in Quilts who had made a lovely one using the Carpenter's Wheel block pattern on Quilter's Cache.  Since my front hallway was desperately in need of something seasonal, I totally stole borrowed her idea!  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

I used some scraps of Christmas fabrics I'd bought at JoAnn last year, along with Kona Snow.

The backing is a vintage piece I thrifted this past summer.  The batting is likewise thrifted.  I'd found a craft-sized package of bamboo batting at Goodwill, and it worked perfectly.  This is the first time I've used bamboo batting.  Is that stuff ever soft!  It quilted nicely, too.

I need to put up a decent rod in the hallway to hang this, and the hallway is pretty dark for pictures anyway, so I took it out on the front porch for a few shots.  I couldn't be bothered to sweep the sidewalk first (I thought I was under the gun for time, remember), and besides, that's what Picasa's "Retouch" button is for.  Virtual sweeping—no more debris, dead bugs, or whatever they were.

It's beginning to look a little more like Christmas around here.  With any luck, I'll get the little tree re-strung with lights that actually work today.  I hope your holiday is coming together nicely too! 

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

P., that is absolutely gorgeous! I love it! Your stippling is so perfect and the colors are just amazing. That polka-dot binding is the perfect finishing touch!

I'll totally give you a Whoop! Whoop! because that is just sew much fun!

xo -E

P.S. Thanks for the tip about the re-touch button.

P.S. #2 Love that cute little sled and the bells. What a cute way to "pose" your quilt for photos!

Karen said...

That green border looks amazing and love the binding! :)

Mom Walds Place said...

Your wall hanging is sure to add a splash of holiday to your hallway. It certainly did dress up your sled. What a great quilt!

Sarah Craig said...

I love it!! And I am so glad you made it in time to link up to get your Whoop Whoop!!!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Very pretty!

greelyrita said...

Really, really nice!! That hot chocolate was yummy sounding. My daughter lately introduced us to cocoanut milk and it sure adds a lovely flavour to dishes. Makes my mouth water, just thinking about it. :)

Shay said...

I'm going to remember that Picasa tip next time I photograph a quilt and my carpets look like they're shag pile from dog hair and thread ends.

I love your wall hanging. The pattern is so festive and the colours are just wonderful. Way to go . You did good!

Whoop! Whoop!

Sara said...

Enjoy that sweet little wall hanging Paulette;) Good Luk with the lights.

Michelle C said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty! I love the design. And such dainty prints. :-)