Thursday, February 6, 2014

Hemispheres Quilted

The Hemispheres Quilt-Along wall hanging is now completely done.  Another one checked off the to-be-finished list!

I used a walking foot to quilt it, following the arc of the curves and using a chaco liner to mark the curves where I didn't have the ditch to follow.

I wanted the top thread color to match the azure fabric but was limited by what was locally available on short notice.  The big box store had a turquoise Coats and Clark 40-wt. trilobal polyester embroidery thread, so I thought I'd give it a shot, with Aurifil in the bobbin.  I am happy with the result.  The CC didn't shred or lint and had a nice sheen.

The fabrics in the top are Robert Kaufman Quilter's Linen in azure, charcoal, and snow.  I love the bit of dimension you can see up close, yet it still reads as a solid from a couple feet away.

While I was at the store, I spied what looked to be an interesting fabric for the backing, so I grabbed a couple yards of that as well.
 

Some of you may recall that this JCP skirt was my inspiration. I found it while online shopping and pinned it on Pinterest, commenting that it'd make a cool quilt.

Not long afterwards, I heard about the Hemispheres Quilt-Along and saw the quilt pattern.  It was serendipity!

So there you have it for this week's finish.  Linking to:

February Finishes

18 comments:

Diane said...

Very nice! It is beautiful!

Marti said...

I love that! Did you mark your stitch line with something, or just eyeball it as you went? Your curves match so well.

Shay said...

Lovely – another beautiful project from the House of P...love all those curves and colours. I think your top thread adds another dimension to the quilt too...Great job!

Kim said...

Yep...it was obviously meant to be!! Love the striking and bold colours and that quilting...'tis perfect!!

Sara said...

I think any time you use Aurifil somewhere in the mix you are set! Just my humble opinion;) I like all the linen in this quilt. Very organic.

You did a very good job on the quilting too. I never thought to use a marking tool of some sort to draw out this specific design. I have done the orange peel in the past and wasn't too thrilled with the results.

Pokey said...

You are amazing! I love the curves in fabric and thread. Great how inspiration comes from everywhere ~
:-}pokey

QuiltNut Creations said...

so absolutely fabulous!! great job.

Anonymous said...

I just love this quilt, and the close up pics make me love it even more. The minimal quilting is perfect for it. You could write a pattern for this if you wanted. I could see it being very popular.

Unknown said...

Wow...great piecing. I love your colors choices ..very graphic.

Jayne said...

Love this color combination using that pattern! I haven't made it yet, but it's on my list too!

Sarah Craig said...

It's beautiful, P.! Love the way you quilted it, too. Whoop whoop!!

Karen said...

Oh yum! Love that blue thread, just perfect. You are on a roll!

Michelle said...

Gorgeous! I am a sucker for stark geometric designs and curves. Really enjoy the color combination as well. Your quilting is fantastic, really complimenting the overall design.

Hazel said...

Really beautiful, and the story behind it is fantastic.

MomWaldsPlace said...

You MUST enter this in a show!!!!!!

Kevin the Quilter said...

Holy smokes! I LOVE it! you did a great job, and the quilting simply enhances it that much more! Good eye P, good eye!

SIMPLESEW said...

stopping by from the Linky party Stitch in Time, Great finish

Elizabeth said...

I love your fabrics and colors! And your quilting is just perfect! Congrats on an amazing finish! It is awesome! And thanks for linking up!

xo -E